Thursday, October 14, 2010

In their own words: Onceworn Twiceloved

Here my fine feathered friends, you will find some Q&A with the lovely Sue from Onceworn all about what she does, why she does it, and what life for her is like on the (not so sunny of late) Gold Coast

You can find Sue's
Etsy shop here:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/onceworn
Madeit shop here: http://www.madeit.com.au/onceworn

Darling Sue has kindly donated some handcrafted, upcycled, made with love goodness which will be up for grabs to one lucky blog reader tomorrow, so be sure to come back and check it out!

But now, lets see what Sue has to say....

What was the motivation behind starting up onceworn? Onceworn twiceloved is the outlet for my creative side, satisfying a passion for op-shopping, design and sewing.  It all started with needing a new handbag myself, and has just grown from there.  I make one-of-a-kind handbags and accesories from secondhand and vintage leather jackets and fabrics.
 
Who do you invisage as a buyer/wearer/lover of your items?
I design things that I like to use and wear myself.  I see onceworn appealing to women who like something unique and quirky, but still practical, well designed and well-made.  I hope that the fact that I am re-purpposing things that might otherwise be thrown away is also a drawcard from a sustainability point of view.  My bags come with a tag showing the original jacket that they were created from so you can see what they started out life as.
 
How did you learn your craft?
I have sewn on and off for my whole life, making lots of my own clothes and things for our home.  My mum taught me to sew when I was really young.  She's the best seamstress ever, and has way more patience than me.  She tolerated many a tantrum when the sewing machine chewed up the cotton and jammed!  
 
What is the best thing you have found to repurpose?
I recently came across my best find ever, a vintage steel grey-blue full length leather ladies trench coat for $10!!!  It would make the most beautiful bag, and I won't lie, I'm tempted, but there are some things that are perfect just as they are.  I can't bring myself to cut it, so I'm going to wear it in winter! 


 
Describe the art scene of the Gold Coast through your eyes? I've only been on the coast for 10 years, but over that time I have definitely seen the arts, crafts and design scene on the Gold Coast grow, slowly but steadily.  There are new markets showcasing handcrafted items, and arty, different shops and galleries popping up all the time.  There isn't really one spot where these types of shops/galleries and venues are concentrated here though, like in alot of major cities, and that makes it difficult for them to get discovered.  I love it that blogs like The Hatchling Society are able to give these people and places the exposure they deserve, and I'll certainly be checking back in regularly.
 
What do you dream for the future of onceworn?
I would love for onceworn to become a full-time job and have more time to create. I have alot more ideas for things I'd like to make, homewares and other things.  If I could sew full-time it would be great!  

Be sure to show your support for this wonderful Gold Coast lady and her wares, and from The Hatchling Society, a great big THANKS SUE!!

If you, or someone you know would like to be the Showcase seller (or even the one asking the questions) you can contact us on facebook here or by Email contact.hatchling@gmail.com

Don't forget to share and be a part of the creative uprising of the Coast

..xx Hatch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers